On Language Death

I posted this on my Google shared items about a month ago, but I found it so powerful that it deserves a separate posting here as well.

I was reading this blog post about a researcher that was recording the language of a people. This language is going the way of the dodo so the researcher wanted to preserve it.

In showing the natives what he intends to do, and giving them examples of languages no longer spoken because the last speaker of a language died, it energized the locals to probably revitalize their language.

I know that I am probably losing a lot of the essence here, but for me this was quite a powerful story!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Academic Facepalm (evaluation edition)

Discussion forums in MOOCs are counter-productive...well, sort of...

Latour: Third Source of Uncertainty - Objects have agency too!