Of text messages and telegrams

These couple of weeks that have passed I have been on vacation. While on vacation I was able to meet with a colleague that has taught for my applied linguistics department. We didn't plan to talk shop but the discussion did veer toward linguistics.
<br>
<br>
We started talking about text messaging and linguistic research, and of course what can SMS linguistic data tell us about user behavior and communication. Then I had a brainstorm: I'd love to see results of research (or participate in research) that compares text messages with telegrams. They both are meant to be quick, short, and to convey a message. I think this would be a great line of research. I wonder where one could get a corpus of telegram text.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Academic Facepalm (evaluation edition)

Discussion forums in MOOCs are counter-productive...well, sort of...

Latour: Third Source of Uncertainty - Objects have agency too!